Well the first you would want to do when you log on to second life is to groom yourself a bit ;). Primarily cuz you’ll see very dressed up avatars around you while you are in your default linden uniform . Well all that might require some lindens (Second Life Term: currency used in Second Life) which you don’t have right now or may be you are not willing to invest real life money into a new “game”. No need to worry in that case. I’ve got some really handy ways for you to dress up your avatar with a good fashion statement absolutely for free. In short, I’m going to tell you about some hidden locations or even popular ones that many residents get free stuff from. Oki, no more blabber from my side now, here you go! =)
1. Fabulously Free in SL – First and foremost thing I would suggest you to do is to join the “Fabulously Free in SL” group. (click on the search button and then on the group tab , type the name of this group to search and then join it.) It is the largest group of freebie hunters on SL with its membership soon touching 10,000 people. An amazing group with very helpful freebie hunters who can guide you through anything and even more generous fashion designers who keep passing freebies to the group. Renee, the owner of the group even passes some useful notecards regarding important and handy matters. And apart from that, many quality designers have put free stuff at the Fabfree headquarter. So, I suggest that should be your first place to get freebies! Here’s the Fabfree headquarter limo! And lemme show you a set of pics that I took with my avatar totally dressed up with freebies from the headquarter (clothes, hair, skin, shape, pose, shoes!!)
2. Lucky Chairs Stalkers Group – This is another great growing group to join if you want to try your luck in getting freebies. The group chat of this group has regular lucky chairs calls, so if someone calls for a letter that your name starts with, jump on the given teleport and you might get that lucky chair gift! This group opens up enrollments sometimes, if its not open you can always politely request Silent Noel or Eden Knoller to add you to the group. I’m sure you’ll wont be disappointed.
3. Freebie Fashion blogs – There are many fashion freebie blogs on the internet made by the SL residents. Don’t forget to have a look at those. Most of them are very attractive with pictures and direct teleport to the tp locations. Here are a few to just get you started
>>> Free Dorks – My sister Maretch Waffle’s blog is an ultimate guide to all freebies. Very selected and quality freebies are blogged by her. And now she has moved to a bigger blog called the SL Fashionista along with Karina and Nereisse (awesome SL Fashion bloggers!) , so can follow her there
>>> Freebie Telegraph – Another awesome blog for freebies. Probably one of the really old ones too, definitely worth a look!
>>> Fashion Freebies for Men – This blog is a perfect answer to the guys who whine about the shortage of freebies for men on SL . Very unique blog showcasing classy freebie or stuff with cheap deals only for men.
>>> Free Finds for Men – Another cool freebie blog for the guys!
>>> Free*Style – Awesome fashion blog that caters to needs of both men and women.
>>> Karla Scorbal – One of the few non English blog with a huge fan following. The Spanish blog offers the best freebies and the blog even has a huge non Spanish fan base. So, you even if you don’t understand Spanish, take a took at it I bet you’ll have an idea by Karla’s beautiful pictures.
4. Visiting freebie places – I have been around many freebie places that offer a lot of quality stuff ranging from clothing, hair, skin to AOs (Animation overrides - Second Life term: Animations for the way your Avatar stands), poses, furniture and even some funny prank items . Here’s a small list of freebie place to get you started -
5. Freebies at Big Designer Stores – Some generous designers offer quality freebies at their main stores. So you might need to hop around from place to place but it is sooooo worth it! =) Here are a few to help you out -
>>> [Cynful] – One of my hot favorites, Cynthia Ultsch is really generous to put out a new freebie (which is usually a special version from one of her dresses) every month in her store Cynful. Superb quality, a total must have! Here’s the limo!
>>> Magika – Very famous hair store with a huge variety of hair. They recently put of tons of freebies (basically older hair that were on sale before). All of them are really beautiful so hurry and grab them! Carpet ride! =)
>>> Hyper Culture – Hmm …. I think I can count in my store too =) lool … anyway I keep on passing regular freebies in my subscribe-o-matic or simply as gift packs! Do try them^ .. Here’s the ride!
>>> Donna Flora – Those in love with vintage couture can find some really nice dollarbie area in here too! Check it out HERE!
6. Hunts – This is the fun part of SL!! Nothing better than hopping around the grid trying to find hidden treasures Freebie Blogs are the best way to know about the hunts that are going around. Refer to my third point
VERY IMPORTANT NOTE (Specially to all the new residents) – Please NEVER accept items that are passed to you by other residents in person unless they are the creators of those items themselves. NO quality skins or hair are passed around in SL in folders by the creators. Such items are usually copybot or ripped or stolen items. Please respect the work of the creators by buying their items and by boycotting stolen items. Remember, creator are responsible for adding on to the awesome Second Life experience we all are having. So please support their work by buying original items
Wow … this was a long one I hope this with help you in getting through SL and taking away you noobish look too